Bethany Baptist Church Food Pantry & Clothes Closet
The Bethany Food Pantry / Clothes Closet is a nonprofit ministry of Bethany Baptist Church. Although this program is Church and Faith-based, religion is NOT a criterion to receive services. ALL are welcome. It is our mission to provide - free of cost - emergency food and clothing to all of those in need that come to our doors. There is no need to call in advance!
LOCATION: HOURS OF OPERATION:
Bethany Baptist Church Monday & Thursday ONLY - 11AM-1PM
275 West Market Street (973) 623-8161
Newark, NJ 07103
The entrance to the pantry/clothes closet is on Hartford Street next to University Heights Charter School.
What You Should Know about the Food Pantry
We require all clients to have a referral in order to receive services; and we accept referrals from all community based agencies and institutions, both public and private. Realizing that it is sometimes difficult to get and utilize a referral on the same day it was given, we will gladly honor a referral for any time during the month it was written.
- Clients may draw food from the Pantry only ONCE a month.
- Clients must have a referral and a picture ID each time they come.
- Food is distributed based on family size.
- If the client fails to produce necessary documents, it may result in the denial of services. We realize, however, that there may be extenuating circumstances, so each case will be determined on an individual basis.
- Bethany's Food Pantry will attempt to honor all food requests based on religious and health needs; however, given our limited supplies, we many not always be able to make substitutions. In those cases, we will simply remove those offending items from the client's bags.
- Clients should be aware that it is the Pantry administration's right to determine what, if any, type(s) of services shall be rendered.
What You Should Know about the Clothes Closet
Days and hours of operation for the Clothes Closet are the same as the Food Pantry.
No referral is necessary for the Clothes Closet!