In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. - Titus 2:7-8
The Diaconate is a Biblical Office and is charged by the New Testament to oversee all aspects of ministry in the Church – temporal and spiritual.
The Bethany Board of Deaconesses - service to the Church and the Community at large.
The Board of Deaconesses is charged with assisting the deacons in advancing a full range of ministries charged to the diaconate. It is committed to providing leadership to the congregation by fostering Christian courtesy to maintain harmony in the church and the larger community. In additional to basic responsibilities, the board will especially engage in fellowship with women of the church and others, in an attempt to strengthen the spiritual and mental bond of sisterhood and families by promoting prayer, devotion, study and social interaction. The board will employ all appropriate means to respond to issues of concern to carry out the overall goal of the church: "Recruit, Equip and Deploy."
The Board of Deaconesses, in consultation with (and approval by) the Board of Deacons, works to advance a full range of ministries charged to the diaconate. Overall duties include:
- Caring for the Pastor’s pulpit needs during service
- Receiving and signing-up new members
- Assisting in preparation of the serving of communion
- Assisting with preparing candidates for baptism, and
- Assisting with other needs and concerns when requested by the Deacons or the Pastor
In service to the community at large, Deaconesses participate in the fellowship ministries, lead prayer services, lead noon day service and visit the sick and shut-in with Deacons on first Sundays when communion is administered. The Deaconesses will also visit the sick and shut-in independent of the Deacons, and will join the Deacons in representing Bethany at meetings of the New Jersey State Deacon’s Association and Women Auxiliary.
Annual outreach and encouragement activities are carried out by the Deaconnesses, including:
- care packages for college students and military personnel who are Bethany members and stationed in/out of state
- Thanksgiving dinners for families in need
- Advent reception services for women of Bethany and friends
- Spiritual and social enrichment with and for other women groups in the church
The Bethany Board of Deacons
The Deacons are secondary only to the Pastor in the responsibility and accountability for the well-being of the Church. The Deacons shall, in cooperation with the Pastor, conduct classes of indoctrination and practices of the Baptist Church for all new members to enhance their spiritual growth and knowledge of the Church. It shall be the duty of the Deacons to:
- counsel, cooperate and assist the Pastor in advancing the spiritual and temporal interests of the Church
- visit the sick
- prepare and distribute the elements of the Lord’s Supper
- appropriate and distribute money for the relief of the poor and sick members, for missions, education, and all benevolent purposes, and
- examine all applicants for Church membership on the basis of Christian experience